Aug 23, 2010

First Year Students

While taking bus 408 to UBC today
I had a new understanding of college.
I found out early this morning that
In a week and a few days I will be going to the orientation myself.
The only friend I know happened to say she isn't going
Because she isn't an international student.

Everyone hopes to feel safe, secure and acknowledged.
That's why we don't like walking around a new place
Alone.
That's why moving away is a scary thought.
Nobody wants to be seen alone.
Nobody wants to leave their comfort zone.

I wish I could've blogged this on the bus
But here's what I learned.

It may feel as though we are alone
Yet we are not walking alone -
As much as it feels like it sometimes.
But fact comes before feeling
He promised to never leave us, to never forsake us.
That's a fact.
He is with us, as we tread on His city, His nation.
Wherever we are, wherever we are sent to.

Seeing girls with their thick eyeliners
Short shorts and Gucci bags
I can't help but feel out of place sometimes.
Here I am in my jeans and sneakers
Rolling around with my iPod and camera.

But why try fitting in -
When we are called to be different?
Why try making ourselves feel comfortable -
When we are called to be in a warfare?

I don't like the word Dai Lo.
But my God is the Boss.
If He is for me, who can be against me?

We feel insecure because we forget who we are
To fit in is to say we are ashamed
Of the One who calls us to be agents of change.

Seeing groups of friends cluster together
I suddenly miss mine very much.
I miss the closeness, the comfort
They've become my haven.

Here I am, thousands of miles apart from them.
But I can hold onto the belief that God created friendships
And he will teach us about it.

I don't think we will ever be ready for a change.
But that's the thrill in life -
The roller coaster taking off before you can sit back and close your eyes.
And much like riding the roller coaster,
All you need is a little push
To take the first step
And the rest will take its course.

For someone who hates roller coaster,
there is much satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment
Stepping off one (I don't mean before it takes off)
After you've overcome the twists and turns...
After screaming your head off.

Gianne, I will never forget about the Space Mountain.

My dorm happened to face the ocean.
Vancouver, being the west of the west
Hong Kong, being the east of the east
I am technically facing Hong Kong :)

Sometimes I think, that's where my home is.
I forget that to see home, I have to lift my chin up.
Someone's waiting for me back home.
My aunt is making her best dish.

To my friends off to their next chapter in life
My prayer for you is that you will know He is with you.
He goes before you and he will guide you.
Don't lose hope.
The word "if" is too indefinite to define.