Sep 24, 2010

Three weeks went by exceptionally fast
So much has happened, so much has changed
And it felt like I've been thrown into a washing machine
Twisted, churned, stretched
While being cleaned in the process.
For the first time in my life
I felt as if I'm truly on my way.

Leaving my dorm today
Walking into the evening crisp
I suddenly remember what my friend told me:
"Vancouver grows on you."

He said that this city isn't glamorous
The city doesn't lit up at night
But it's peaceful.
And today I've had a taste of that.

You can't embrace the present
If you don't let go of the past.
For a long time I had no space for the present
The gift of today
Because I held the past as who I am.

I recall a conversation I had with a friend when I first moved here
We wondered if we were in the right place
If we were where we are supposed to be
What does God have in mind?
Friend, I want to tell you
As someone told me recently:
"It seems to me, you are exactly where you are supposed to be."

I often dwell upon "what-ifs"
What if I do this in tomorrow?
What if I did that in the past?
Those two questions begin the same
But carry much different values.

Time waits for nobody.
I vaguely remember the last sentence of the Great Gatsby:
"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
And that's the tragedy -
Time goes one way.

There is a time to hold on
But there comes the time to let go
Only then can you run, only then can you soar
And see how far you can go.
I watched as the trees change their colors
As the leaves hang lifelessly down
I watched as leaves pile up beneath the tree
There is beauty in every stage of its life.

And when all else fades, my soul will dance with You
Where the love lasts forever