Dec 6, 2010

It's been forever since I've watched a TV show on an actual television. Never would've thought college would deprive me of my TV...of all things. Sitting in front of my aunt's 54 inch plasma television today, flipping through all these foreign channels, I decided to catch an episode of According to Jim.

I started to watch when Ruby decided to go to the dance with her Uncle Andy instead of her father. As a little girl entering her adolescent years, she didn't want her daddy to kiss her when he drops her off at school. She didn't want her father to be her date. The part on the dance was hilarious if you know how Andy is like hahah. Andy was doing his horrific dance while Ruby sits by herself. I have to admit that cracked me up for a long while. Long story short, while Ruby was sulking in her seat, Jim appears in his suit - "I was taking a walk with my suit on, I heard music outside so I came in."

I couldn't help but tear up while watching this. I find myself asking my Daddy, "What are You doing here?" I can just imagine God beating around the bush, not wanting to embarrass my stupidity. What was I thinking - to go without Him, to think that I would take someone better. Jim takes his daughter's hand and starts dancing with her. Soon Ruby's friend came and asks if she wanted to hang out by the fruit punch table (it's a 12 year old party haha). Ruby looked at her daddy and this is what he said to her:

"Go ahead, we've got our whole lives to dance.
But just remember, when you come back - I'll still be here."

My Daddy is just like any other daddy. It's not that he doesn't let me dance with anyone else. I forgot to mention how sad Jim was when he found out his daughter chose Andy over him. Andy is his wife's brother :S He was sad because he had been so excited to share this moment with his daughter - to be her first date to a dance. He wanted to be there with her, to be there for her. What's amazing is that even after Ruby had chosen someone else over him, he went back for her, offering his hand, offering himself.

This is a lifelong dance and He has promised to always be my date.
His faithfulness is not a prison - it's freedom, it's home.
How great it is to know that you can always go back to Him
When you've messed up, when you find yourself sitting alone.
While the world sees a wallflower, He sees a beautiful blooming flower.
How awesome is our Daddy's love?
How unconditional is it? How constant, how unchanging?

Would you dance with me, my beloved?
Would you come away with me?

Daddy take my hand and lead me in this dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment