Dec 18, 2010

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the Lord.
"As the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

I'm not too sure who follows this blog -
But for those who do and have gotten a strange Facebook message from my friend regarding my mom, I shall tell of God's sovereignty.

On thursday night I got a call from my aunt who said that my dad could not find my mom in Taiwan. Her plane should have landed at around 7pm Vancouver time but we could not contact her for three - almost four hours. My aunt kept calling to see if I heard anything from my dad and my mind began to race - I began to cry. In between my tears I tried to pray. In between my wild imaginations, I knew there was a small voice in my head - "Be still and know that I am God". But being still was the last thing I could do that night. For almost an hour there was nothing from my mom nor my dad and my head went through all the possibilities as to why my mom is missing. As my friend was praying with me, I found myself struggling to say I trust you God. After my friend pray, I started to pray. I don't remember what I prayed but I do remember at the moment I said "Lord I trust you, you know what you are doing" - the moment after that my dad called on the other line and my mom asks, "Why are you still awake, don't you have an exam tomorrow?" Thank you dear friend, your prayers are powerful =)

For the second time that day, I found myself speechless before the Lord. Looking back, I feel bad for having so many people worried for me. But because of this incident, I am brought to humility before others and most importantly - before Him. What do I know of faith? What do I know of God's wisdom and his plans? Who am I to question Him, who am I to worry? That night I could not go to sleep and at around 12:00am I received an email. It's an email from a daily devotions I subscribed to a long time ago. For some reason they stopped sending me daily devotions but on this particular day I received an email from them. The topic of day was "Do not worry". I cannot explain to you how I felt at that moment, but my heart leaped. I was afraid - at the power of God, at his sovereignty and at his never failing protection over me. Fear in the Lord comes with reverence; it comes with understanding and seeing His nature and his might. When you see the Lord for who he is, you should fear. Moses fell on his knees before the consuming fire. But to know that this almighty God loves us, to know that he still loves me even after I have proved myself so unfaithful, so doubtful - that is too much for me to understand. To love someone so imperfect as me...only God can do it.

In times of trouble, God looks for a still heart. Man looks at actions, the Lord looks at our hearts. It took my dad almost an hour later to find my mom, it took me almost an hour later to place my trust in Him. But hey, who else do you trust, if not the God of this universe, the God who holds all things?

The God who will always, always, always be faithful.