Dec 14, 2010

A friend once asked me who I miss the most being away from home.
My initial response, of course, was my parents.

But as the day of departure is drawing closer
I'm giving that question a second thought.
Not to say that I miss my parents any less
But friends, faces...
Faces flashed in the back of my head -
Faces I had not expected to come up.

In fact, I had not been thinking of these faces in awhile...
But as they flash before my eyes, there was a warm bubbling feeling.
A feeling of excitement, anticipation and yearning.

And I've come to prove the old saying
"Absence makes the heart grow fonder."
As I try to draw out the details of these faces,
I tried to recall the last time I talked to them.
It's been so long...

I have never been a huge fan of...technology.
I think many of you have heard me say that life is better without Facebook.
I think nowadays, keeping in touch has become so easy that the meaning is lost.
It used to be just...keeping in touch, with the people you really want to keep in touch.
With such a wide web of connections, it's almost like you're obliged to keep in touch
With, well, literally everyone you once knew.

But as I pondered over these faces,
Warm memories swarmed in my mind.
And I realize, you don't need to talk all the time with your friends.
You don't need to do anything, so deliberately - not saying effort isn't required.
But a friendship goes both ways
When there is a mutual anticipation
You can pick up where you had both left off
And nothing would have changed.

It's like trying to hitchhike a ride...

A man of many companions may come to ruin,
But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
- Proverbs 24:18.

Here's to my dearly missed family, in blood and in Jesus' blood.
(And to the one sleeping like a swine on my bed...)