Jan 22, 2011

Today I had an Apple

It was a huge Fuji apple.
I peeled it with full anticipation -
It looked juicy, delicious and sweet.

I took a few big bites and they were satisfying.
After a bowl of oatmeal,
This apple was almost like an oasis in the desert.

Until I reached the core.
It was rotten and grey.
I did not see that it was rotten
And so I devoured bits of the rotten core.

It was bitter and so revolting that I had to spit it out.
The first thing that I checked was to see if a worm will come out of it
Like they do in children books...

But this got me thinking a lot of things.
I hated that feeling when I found out this seemingly delicious apple
Is rotten in the core.
I tasted betrayal, disappointment and...
I wondered how He feels

When He looks down and see hands raising up high
When we walk around with our cross necklaces
When we greet each other in church
I wonder what He sees when He looks beyond all that I do, all that I say

I hate to be found rotten in the core
So bitter that I have to be spat out.
I want to be an apple that's real, inside and out.
And I hope that you delight in me
A sweet aroma pleasing to You.