Sep 28, 2009

Under My Umbrella

Rain inspires me to write.

I left school today feeling perplexed. Although the rain wasn't hard, but the walk from school to my bus stop is not so short when raindrops tap endlessly on the head. I ducked from cover to cover until I stopped right in front of Welcome. The option in taking a taxi home isn't so appealing when you can save thirty dollars. So I decided to purchase my first umbrella. I went into Welcome and approached the lady who was ever so helpful in introducing me to all kinds of umbrellas they sell. Half of them have the word Welcome on it. Not very attractive. So I took into my hand, what the lady called a pale yellow child umbrella. Ironically, it was bigger than what I need. The umbrella is also, just right for my height. I walked towards the cashier with a hundred dollar bill. Seeing the line, I had long moments of hesitation. But I guess my phone distracted me long enough. When it was my turn, the lady asked where the price tag was. Funny how the cashier was asking me that. I said I dont know. She said "That's seven ninety".
Wait what?

Seven nineth. $7.90. I paid and left.

For some reason, this umbrella gives me so much satisfaction. It's so true that the weather can affect us a great deal, as Terence said. But I also believe it depends a lot on you. As I began our first journey, I felt genuinely happy. Perhaps because that overcasting cloud over me the past few days is on its way out of my world. I don't know what it is. Sitting in my bus, I stared at that umbrella hanging next to me.

It was just a $7.90 worth of...umbrella. But I felt that it was my prized possession.
I've never owned a personal umbrella. And I realized as I am sitting in front of my computer, typing this, that the first is always the most precious, most memorable. Whatever it is, the first will always be the first. The umbrella now leans by the front door and looking at it gives such a satisfying feeling.

That feeling is so warm and safe. Now I am not a freak.
The umbrella, one way or another, will be in the hands of another person. Or perhaps blown away by a typhoon 8. But...right now it's safe and dry in my apartment. And the first will always be the first. That pale yellow just about describe everything I'm feeling right now. The weather doesn't define your feelings. You define the weather. Sometimes I hate the rain. I hate that wetness you feel in your socks. But today, sitting in my bus, the rain has become my friend.
Maybe because I have a umbrella now :)
This is afterall, a very random post.
The sun's in your heart when you don't see it in the sky